Type D School Bus - Saf-T-Liner HDX
Bus routes come in all shapes and sizes. Short and hilly, long and bumpy or all of the above. The HDX and HDX CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) from from Thomas Built Buses was built to handle them all.
Keep the driver comfortable with features like the standard tilt and telescoping steering wheel and optional adjustable pedals, while air conditioning, coach-style seating and heavy-duty shock absorbers make the ride a perfectly pleasant one for up to 90 passengers.
Of course, safety is most important to everyone, which is why the HDX meets or exceeds FMVSS. Their unwavering commitment to the needs of every passenger, driver and customer has made Thomas Built a leader for over 90 years.
- Passenger capacity
Up to 90
181", 209", 238", 267", 277"
Up to 36,200 lbs.
Cummins® ISB 220-300 HP, ISC 260-300 HP
- Green option
CNG – Cummins ISL G 250-280 HP
- Ergonomic driver's dash and switch panel
- Easy-to-read offset gauge cluster
- Tilt and telescoping steering wheel
- Suspended brake and accelerator pedals
- Foot rest
- 45-degree steering angle
- Sound isolator over engine
- 78" headroom
- Exterior electrical access door
- Streamlined electrical center for easy identification and access
- Fuse relay centers provide circuit protection and easy diagnostics
- Front access panel
- Drop-frame design at engine location
- Engine compartment accessible via three doors
- Easy access to fluids
- Display of fault codes in dash
- Lights equipped with plug-in connectors
- Wheelchair lift
- Adjustable pedals
- Air suspension driver's seat
- Air ride suspension
- AM/FM radio/CD/PA
- Remote control/heated mirrors
- Reading lights
- Various seat options available: bench seat without belts, with lap belts, with 3-point belts; integrated child seats; or coach-style seating
- Child reminder system
- Crossing arms
- LED light packages
- Acoustical ceiling
- Underbody pass-through storage area
- Overhead book racks
- White roof
- Tinted windows
- Staggered passenger seating
- Customer accessory module for aftermarket component hookup
Decade after decade, Thomas Built Buses has followed one simple philosophy: design and build the kind of bus that we'd want our own children to ride in. It's a simple idea and it works. Passenger safety is our number one priority and every bus we manufacture meets or exceeds all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for school buses.
- Meets or exceeds FMVSS
- Roof bows extend to bottom of side panels
- Double rear bumper with exterior contoured steel bumper
- Double-bolted body mounting clips
- Fuel tank mounted between frame rails
- Large two-piece curved bonded windshield
- Specially developed integrated mirror system
HDX CNG Option
Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) is a fossil fuel substitute for gasoline and diesel. It's cleaner. And more environmentally friendly.
Based on the design of our original Saf-T-Liner® HDX, Thomas Built launched the Saf-T-Liner HDX CNG nearly 20 years ago. Since then, we've put more than 1,300 CNG buses on the road.
Versatile, customizable, and 2010 emissions-ready.
Looking for a smaller school bus? Check out: